Sunday 19 September 2021

El Camino Portuguese Sao Joao de Madeira to Grijo

El Camino Portuguese 

Sao Joao de Madeira to Grijo

I am going to skip this section and take the train to Porto. It is scheduled as a 17 kilometres section, easy walking distance but there is no accommodation in the the town and I would be staying the night in Porto 

The plan was that 45  minutes before I arrived in Grijo, I am meant to phone for  taxi. That for some people is easy but I don't have a mobile phone. And from experience, there are few public phones available and often they are out if order,. Cafes don't like you using their phones due to COVID restrictions and from harsh experience, I could be left stranded. Therefore I would take the train which would also give my feet a rest from the constant pounding the trails and a day off from the burning sun.                            

                                       
The quaint little station at Sao Joan de Madeira. The green fencing surrounds the former warehouse for goods that were once transported up and dow the line. Several of the stations had areas where cork was being stored in the open.

The cut bark from the tree keeps its form but over time, it can be rolled out and flattened under some weight and it eventually becomes a flat sheet. It can then be sent to the factory for processing, either slices into tiles or using a machine like a hole punch, can make corks for bottles and any off cuts and dust can be reformed with resin into any shape required.
A series of open wagons although a poor picture as it was taken through the glass of the train as I passed as were the next few photos...
...rounds of timber ready for the sawmill or paper making factory...
Crossing the Douro which flows through Porto to the sea...
...a view of another bridge over the Douro until...
...the train reaches its terminus at Sao Bento CHECK...known for it Azulejos tiles...
...one side of the main hall...
..
...and a detail of one corner.

Does this look familiar? An English style phone box without a door but it did have a phone (out of order).
I was too early to sign in so I had lunch pf salmon with apple sorbet, onion compote, tuna malaise and onion in oil (not eaten before I remembered to take a photo) and a selection of breads including some black bread sticks.
And then it was time to check into my hotel. My suite are the windows on the 1st floor far left with a dual aspect. From the adverts that come automatically with access to the internet, I rather liked the suite on the third floor, ornate window on the third floor but it was out of my price range.

I went to a local restaurant for my evening meal as the hotel didn't have a dining room. This bottle collection on the wall caught my eye. You might have to zoom in to see the details but when I choose a wine I don't choose anything with an animal on the label such as bottom left, fish of middle right, a cat and not to mention second from the bottom right, a one called Bastartdo. This is on the basis that the marketing people know that it is an average wine but are trying to appeal to an audience that don't know their wines and therefore the friendly animal motif might achieve higher popularity and a higher price than it deserves.

The display also has two examples of some of my favourite drinks, namely port and a mention of my favourite red wine, Fleurie.
And for dinner I had a cheese board with the cheeses served on a flattened 1.5 litre bottle and a since I had passed the vinery a couple of days before.  bottle of white wine made with the Barrida grape.

No comments:

Post a Comment