Wednesday 22 September 2021

El Camino Portuguese Gaia to Arcos


 El Camino Portuguese 

Giao to Arcos  

I had plenty of time so I made a small detour to see the Mosteiro de Vairao, part of which has been converted to pilgrim accommodation. It was early in the day and it was open so I wanted to see some of the architecture. The front entrance in dappled shade as the sun was still low in the sky that early.

Inside it was impressive but not grand and walking inside on the pretence of getting a stamp for my credential but in actuality to see the architecture, I was quite disappointed as inside it was all functional and modern looking rather than the dressed stone, arches and carvings that I had hoped to see.
A little further along the route I passed through Vilarinho  and the last place that I would have guessed had a Lego statue.
And there were more confusing way markers. Judging by the white marks on the top sign, another arrow had been glued on but since removed. My guide said that the original route was straight on but this sign suggested that it was a detour and that the official route was left. I went straight on as I wanted to see the bridge.
A view of the Ponte de Zameiro over the Rio Ave, first mentioned in records in 1185, seen from the path as it descends from the main road although modern traffic is diverted to a new bridge just a little further downstream. Yuo can just make out four spans but in fact there are eight, each irregular as it took several builders and several years to complete.
A view of one of the mills on the river with a weir to the left and sluices to the right.

I couldn't resist taking this photo of a modern post box in Mamede.
A view of two traditional style chimneys on the outskirts of Mamede.
The medieval bridge crossing the Rio Este into Arcos. The first bridge was built in the 12th century but was rebuilt in the 17th century. Looking at the stonework of the two cutwaters protecting the two columns standing in the water, they were clearly not part of the original design and were added later.
A capela in Arcos.

The entrance to my hotel, a former quinta in Arcos, built of dressed stone with several courtyards, lots of period features and two swimming pools although the rooms themselves were functional. 

The azulejos tiled facade of the church in Arcos.





No comments:

Post a Comment