Tuesday 29 June 2021

Hadrian's Wall, Walton to Carlisle


 Hadrian's Wall, Walton to Carlisle

I started in Brampton which was as near to the Hadrian's Wall that I could get to by public transport. I had hoped to get a taxi from there to the wall but one wasn't available. I could order a taxi from a nearby village but I would be charged for the tie it would take them to get from their village to Brampton as well as the three miles to Walton and it would take time and I could walk half the distance by the time they got there so I saved my money and walked to the start.

I was morning and the sun was behind the statue so its not a great photo but it is a statue of Hadrian. I didn't know it at the time but I would see no more Roman walls, ditches of earthworks. There were marked on the maps but there was little to see on the ground, only the sites of turrets and castles and the line of where the wall used to stand.

I walked through Newtown, a pretty village with a green and flowers planted around the base of a road sign in the village.

A road sign with flowers.
On a barn wall were the trophies awarded to Newtown and White Flatts for various awards gained over a five year period.
I have been walking in UK for years but this is the first time that I have seen a footpath re-directed with a map in the centre of the photo explaining the changes and near the top of the post, a small green sign saying the change has been approved by legal order.

According to the map, there was a tarn just off to the right of the trail. I passed through Bleatarn Farm (tarn is of course local language for lake and there are no lakes in the Lake District as they are all called tarns, meres or waters). I kept looking that way but saw no water, It was a former quarry and in its heyday provided stone for the wall, and later aggregate but has now been flooded.

I had seen several of these milestones on roads but this was the first one that was not obscured by long grass.
In Linstock was the Women's Institute building, a well maintained but large wooden shed which is of little interest in itself but it was the sign in the gardens surrounding the building...
...so Newtown and White Flatts have some nearby competition.

The trail passes through a small village and wanders alongside the River Eden.

An odd tower in the middle of a field.
The War Memorial in Rickerby Park alongside of the River Eden.
A view of the Iron Memorial Bridge built in 1922 over the River Eden to connect the park to the city centre. I had finished my walk for the day.

As I made my way to the bus stop to get to my overnigh accomadation, I passed some of the flood protections built by the city to prevent reoccurrences of the devastating floods.


No comments:

Post a Comment