Wednesday 17 October 2018

Finisterre at last!

After walking 900 kms, I am finally nearing the end of El Camino. I left Cee and walked through the picturesque village of Corcubion (I know it has an accent on the last 'o' but I don't know where it is on my keyboard so apologises for the misspelling). The architectural feature here is common throughout Galicia being the glassed enclosed balcony on many of the older buildings at to near the top of the building. It captures the light and warms the inside in the colder months and gives great views over the town



                                      

Another example of the enclosed balcony.
But I didn't forget to look down as well as up and  found another Land Rover to add to my photo collection.
I climbed the hill behind the small fishing village and could see a bank of sea fog that the sun had yet to dispel.
 I walked over the top of the promontory and was at last rewarded with my first view of the Atlantic uninterrupted by any land all the way across the Atlantic to America.
But I still had some distance to go to get to the end of El Camino. My constant companion had been the waymrakers all along the route, granite columns with the scallop shell, a yellow arrow indicating the way to go and below it, the distance still to go to the end. This marker indicates just 12.613 km to go and all of the markers gave distances down to three decimal places. This way marker also has a pair of walking boots on top of it. Many of the markers have stones placed on top of them by passing pilgrims and towards the end of the trail, and certainly for the last 100 kms, it is common to see shoes placed on top as pilgrims wear out a pair and leave them behind.
This was just an unusual sight en route of more than a dozen one ton bags of apples just left at the side of the road in front of a derelict house. No reason and no explanation yet someone had picked all the apples and unloaded them here.

 And finally a view of Finisterre, in Spanish called Fisterra across the bay on a peninsular with the end of El Camino on the tip of the peninsular to the far left of the picture.
 The cross at the headland.
The very last way marker with 0.000 kilometres and no yellow arrow as this is the end.
 The lighthouse at the end of the peninsular.
 And a selfie of me and the lighthouse to prove that I had reached the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment