Friday 17 November 2017

Fez

Our first day in Fez was a tour of some of the city sights, starting in the old city with the Imperial Palace. Here is the entrance with its seven gates representing the seven days of the week.

 A close up of one of the end gates.
 A close up of some of the delicate mosaics which are a wonder to behold.
I took this photo of the kings private gate before I was told that photos of this gate are forbidden...but I had already taken the shot...pity about the shade spotting some of the mosaics but I didn't take a closer shot.
 Then it was a walk around the Jewish quarter with its narrow streets and alleys. It is the largest Jewish community in Morocco but being a Friday, everything was shut so it was quiet.

 Another picture of the streets.
 Then it was a short drive to get to a look out over the city, a small fort on a hill.

The view of the city and showing part of the city walls that stretch for 15kms around the old city.


 Last stop of the day was a pottery collective that made ceramics and mosaics. The process for making both were explained and demonstrated. There were some beautiful examples of the masters work and I could have taken a hundred pictures but I restricted myself to a handful and here are some of my favourites. A fountain.
 One of the skilled craftsmen decorating a plate.
 A large plate.
 A table top.
 Another fountain and two jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment