Tuesday 28 March 2023

Another day in Christchurch

 Another day in Christchurch

Yesterday, the weather was so cold, wet and windy, I didn't have the heart to go and investigate the city. Today, O had long trousers, a thick fleece that I though that I would only wear again when I got back to UK, and water proofs.

There are several trams running through the city but I wasn't sure that I had got a picture of all of them...I am still waiting to get a picture of Number 11, the wooden tourist tram. I had seen it but never close enough, when the light was right and at the right angle.
I visited the site of St Luke's on Manchester St with its before and after photos. It was so badly damaged that it was pulled down and it became a green space.
The bell has been preserved on site.
And the site is covered with 185 white chairs, not for an open air service, but it is a memorial to the 185 people who lost their lives in the 2011 earthquake, large chairs for men, comfortable chairs for ladies, children's chairs and baby chairs. People don't forget and one child's chair had a pink handbag hanging on the back and a fresh flower placed on the seat.
I passed Christchurch College and had to take a couple of photos of the quad with the date o the archway 1850...
...another angle.
And then I went next door to the museum.
A detail of the entrance. I was to be deeply disappointed. The building is about to undergo a major refurbishment and would be closed for five years. Many of the regular exhibits had been removed  and other galleries were being packed away to make way for the builders so there was only a little to be seen. 

There was a temporary and extensive exhibition of street art but it wast the experience that I had anticipated.


No comments:

Post a Comment