Sunday 3 October 2021

El Camino Portuguese Padron to Santiago

El Camino Portuguese 

Padron to Santiago

I wanted to be in Santiago de Compostela before the crowds to get my credential signed and get to mass at midday. Therefore it was any early start. I had checked out part of the route the afternoon before but decided that since I would be walking for over an hour in the dark and didn't want to miss any way markers, I would walk along the road which goes direct to Santiago de Compostela but the way marked route crosses it at several places so once it was light, I could rejoin the way marked track. 

I passed through A Esclavitude with its lovely church and a kilometre further on from the road I could see the light up facade of the Santa de Maria de Cruce chapel, but it was still dark so no photos.

It was a lovely dawn and along the route, I passed this sign to indicate that you were on the correct path (but no arrow) slightly hidden behind an incongruous terracotta solder from Xian.
A granary or horreos as they are called in this part of the world.
The path ducks and dives around several main roads and motorways. One of the pylons had the Devil's Number showing 6,660 kilometres to go and it must have been intentional to put that number here to remind pilgrims. And then it was into Santiago de Compostela through the urban sprawl of the city.

The Hostal Reyes Catolicos next to the cathedral where I got my last stamp in my credential.
The majestic cathedral itself overlooking and Praza de Onradoiro...
...and opposite the cathedral, the Presidency da Xunta government building.

I walked on to the Pilgrims office to queue to get in, to queue to get my ticket and queue to get my credential checked and pick up my certificate. It was getting towards midday and several pilgrims left the queue to get to mass. I didn't fancy queueing again so I stayed put as the queue got shorter with pilgrims being called forward and others leaving for mass.

I was late for mass and stood at the back for the last half of the service.

There were a lot of jubilant pilgrims taking selfies. I looked around for familiar faces but saw none. I checked out the route for tomorrow to leave the city on El Camino Finisterre and went to find a backstreet  (and therefore cheap) restaurant for a late lunch.














No comments:

Post a Comment