Friday 10 July 2015

Lake Laberge continued

The first night under canvas on the shoreline, especially after you haven't camped for a while comes as a bit of a shock...the noise of the forest, the cold, the damp, the uneven ground, the stones, trying to get dressed or undressed in the confines of a tent etc all adds to the experience.

But soon there is a fire burning and breakfast is served. It wasn't long before we had our first native life sighting...an inquisitive and hungry squirrel (das eichhornchen in German. I was expanding my knowledge of German..never too late to learn. Although I misheard the first time and claimed that I had seen ein hornchen which is a unicorn...now that would have been a rare sighting! Apologises to all German speakers for omitting the umlaut in the spelling but I don't know where it is on my keyboard). The people by the fire are Olaf and Ulrich to the left and Benny and Jonas to the right.




We stopped at a quiet bay on the shore for a break from paddling. When in the wild, you have to be inventive and use what is around you. Monica in the foreground had invented an interesting device for drying her socks and had erected a washing line on her canoe.


We had a bit of time to relax but I didn't waste too much time enjoying the view as I didn't want to miss an opportunity of panning for gold. It wasn't much later that we had a great view of a bald eagle.






No comments:

Post a Comment