Friday 14 April 2017

Belem

I had a visit to the Manual das Garcas ecological park on the city shoreline. There were storks, herons, scarlet ibis and various ducks. 




And plenty of flamingos
 Plus iguanas wandering through the park.
 Who is more interested in who?


 In one of several buildings n site was a butterfly farm. There were several species on show and the  park breed them, keeping some inside for visitors but release about 80% of the eggs that hatch. 

Near the entrance was a cannonball tree and it is easy to see how it got its name.
 had a meal near the refurbished docks, and of course couldn’t resist a photo of a beetle although I already have a red one…but my first in Belem.
 I had to pass the cemetery but unfortunately it was looked. I didn’t feel I was missing too much as many of the headstones  and memorials need some attention to be shown off at their best.


There are plenty of beautiful buildings largely as a result of wealth built up by the huge trade in rubber from the depths of the Amazon. 


                                       

 And for some reason there are lots of cows in Belem such as this red one...
 and this one in the foyer of my hotel.

 I only have an afternoon of internet so I will post photos of both the six day cruise up the Amazon and a four day jungle experience in the jungle when I next have some internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment