Tuesday 17 September 2024

Toledo Hotel

 Toledo Hotel  

In the morning, we all set off to do our own thing. Bruce went carving, Alexis led Scott Aiden Paul and Dawn around the isand by scooter and I went cycling. Looking back I could see the hotel on the end of the peninsula with a ferry just arriving nearby.  
I had set out a long time ahead of the scooter people. It was hard work as I had memorised the route and turnings but I had not checked the elevations...and it was all up hill. The scooters cauht me up just 300 metres sort of the first stop...some waterfalls 18 kiometres from the hotel.
The scooters led by Alexis.
Tis was the watrfall that we had mae the effort to see...dry as a bone and just a cliff face. 
Just next door was the waterfall that we saw, with some water in it but not the raging currents we had been led to believe that we would be seeing.

It was just another eight kilometres to see the lake, Danau Aek Natonang. I checked with Paul...only eight kilometres but the first two were a climb. No problem for a scooter but after climbing nearly a thousand metres by bicycle, another 100 metres was still a challenge in the heat and when you are out of condition. They sped off and I pushed thoe pedals round in a low gear. I wanted the exercise but this was more than I was expecting.



The road had been eaten away in several places. Drivers were warned sometimes by just a branch laid across the carriageway in the road. They didn't seem to have traffic cones, yellow tape or warning signs. At one point, there was major works being undertaken to repair the road. Traffic could only pass on the 'road' with one set of tyres on tarmac and the other set using the sloping uphill bank of bare earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment