Sunday 1 September 2024

Return to Angkor Wat

 Return to Angkor Wat 

My first chance to try out an electric bike. The controls were explained in Cambodian, and I didn't understand a single word and as it was my first time, I didn't even know what I was looking at. It was a voyage of discovery.
I cycled the 16 kilometres from Siam back to Angkor Wat to see a few more of the temples that we hadn't seen the day before since it is such a large site. I took a few extra pictures of things that we had sped past the day before.
I turned at Sras Srans lake, just one of many man made lakes in the area. 
The lake shore.
Prasat Pre Roup.
The entrance to Eastern Melan.




The entrance to Prasat Ta San...
...and more ruins.
The approach to Prasat Preanh Neak Pean across a man made lake to an island.
A view up the lake.
The temple itself was very different from all the others.
I stopped at the first eastern entrance to Prasat Preah Khan. It was a long walk from the road but there was a good view up the lake to Prasat Preanh Neak Pean on its own island in the lake.

A view from the jetty overlooking the lake towards the main complex, lined with statues...
...a detailed vied of one of the statues.
One of the gates into the complex, viewed from the bridge across the moat...
...a view of the moat that surrounds the complex...
...a view of the wall that surrounds the complex within the moat.
And then there were a whole series of buildings...
...and then steps up to the main complex...
...the jungle had made advances into the buildings and this tree had been chopped down to prevent further damage.
There was a view through all the buildings from one end to the other, hundreds of metres away, through doorway after doorway...


...to the centre of the whole complex. 
The main entrance at the far side that I had entered from.
The main approach.
The main entrance. 

The north entrance to the Boyen Temple near where I finished the day before, and now only another 0 kilometres back to the centre of Siam Reap.



No comments:

Post a Comment